Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Residents Disregarded As Oxford Street Consultation Results Finally Out.... By Gerald Coba.

Oxford Street Consultation results are finally out! 

Although 61% of Westminster residents are completely against pedestrianisation of Oxford Street! and with only 22% having said “Yes” to the madness, again residents wishes, will be pushed aside (as we've seen previously by Camden in Fitzrovia).

WCC agreed to hold a 'joint' consultation of 'shoppers' and 'residents' but now, as we've seen many times in the past, consultations showing adverse results mean absolutely nothing in respect to decisions made by TfL and the Mayor.

Already CityAM and the Standard are hailing the consultation which encompasses shoppers, tourists and people from outside the borough a massive 2 out of 3 success. Well it would be with a bit of creative accounting !

In the Mayor's eyes, it's always been essential to future plans to make coming to Oxford Street for shoppers, more attractive on the new Elizabeth line, than sitting on a bus in gridlock congestion.

We have been reliably informed that Westminster City Council are now saying they were/are only in favour of the 'joint' consultation and NOT the pedestrianisation !

As WCC actually own Oxford Street, the Mayor will now have to invoke special powers to take over the street, should he wish to do so. 

So, what has caused WCC apparent change of heart?....could it be that they never expected such a massive response from residents within the joint 20,000 responses ?

We are also reliably informed that the only reason WCC agreed to a joint consultation was because the Mayor was holding a gun to the councils head by initially threatening to take over control of said street. 

Will Westminster City Council, on behalf of their residents, actually fight against the Mayor's plans?
Or will they just concede?

It will now be very interesting to see what the Mayor's PR team do next to appease the influential resident response to the consultation. 

In the eyes of local residents, the plans SHOULD be dead in the water, but don't forget Khan is not a man of his word.
Was he not going to be the Mayor who ran Uber out of town, should they commit just one error of compliance!!! (Obviously before being elected to office).

Dispite the hallelujah chorus from the Standard and CityAM, this just in from TfL....

It looks like TfL are skint and don't have the money to proceed. Although they won't admit to it!

So it looks like Directors and managers may have to pay for their own dinners in  Delfino's restaurant.

Or maybe not....going on past history, perhaps the contracts could already have been allocated and fare has already been consumed !!! 


Anonymous said...

It will go ahead watch and see and so will uber get relicencd in May as always money talks Will TfL try to buy the cab trade of so they can get there 1 tire system ply for hire is not worth a toss PH are doing the same as us so is there really any point of learning thousands of points spending 3/4 years earning the right to drive an over priced cab and have ph pick up in front of you Day in day out we will all be working from an app sooner than we think

Anonymous said...

When the congestion charge came in 70% voted
Against it
When they were arguing over terminal 5 it was being built
They started the work on the Olympic site before we won
The vote.
They do not give a shit what the people want
Your all just mugs and are treated thAt way.
What this country needs is a splinter cell.
Know what I mean ???

Anonymous said...

Someone's burnt the toast.
It must be the Russians...
What a load of bollocks