This ePetition is for a Public Inquiry into the failed emissions strategies in London. Taxi Drivers are the worst affected by the pollution; how many drivers do you know who have heart or lung disease or cancer?
If there was an Public Inquiry into the failed emissions strategies it would not only include a full investigation of the unlawful and improper Taxi Age Limit, it would also mean that ALL of the improper strategies of TFL will be fully investigated.
The Phone Hacking investigation started out to investigate phones being hacked and ended up with many people in the police, media and public office being charged with criminal offences for corruption, bribery and misconduct in Public Office. It will be the same if TFL are investigated
Click on link below
PUBLIC INQUIRY INTO LONDON POLLUTION DEATHS AND FAILED AIR QUALITY STRATEGIES
Responsible department: Office of the Leader of the House of Commons
A Public Inquiry will expose all that has taken place and establish exactly why thousands of people have died.The Mayor/TFL have failed to comply with Public Law and to reduce emissions in London and as a direct result 4267 people a year have died. Thousands more suffer poor health and a diminished quality of life and continue to do so on a daily basis. Children walking to school and cyclists are breathing toxic pollution
Every day thousands of Underground passengers and staff are exposed to vented street level pollution which exceeds healthy EU Air Quality levels.
All London Transport workers are suffering. Government attempts to force action have been ignored. Many Assembly Members and Politicians have asked for action and none is taken; there has been no accountability whatsoever. The Mayor /TFL have tried to cheat Air Quality measurements The EU could impose fines of £300 million, Valid ideas have been ignored i.e. a peak time delivery ban or a clean up process for diesel vehicles.
Sign this petition click here
There are 4267 people a year dying in London from pollution (the Mayors own statistic in 2008). In the 4 ½ years that he has been in office The Mayor has implemented improper and failed emissions strategies which have seen no reduction in pollution. Tens of thousands of people are being exposed to harmful pollution on a daily basis, including all of London’s Transport workers (Taxi Drivers, Bus Drivers, Train Drivers, Station Staff), passengers, commuters, cyclists and pedestrians.
If 80 people a week, each and every week, were killed in a terrorist attack, a train crash or road accident there would be outrage and there would be an immediate Public Inquiry to prevent it ever happening again. It should be the same with the deaths from pollution and the only way action will be taken is if a Public Inquiry investigates why this has happened and why it continues.
Certain characteristics can be identified in those public inquiries that have taken place:
· Widespread loss of life
- Threats to public health or safety
- Failure by the state in its duty to protect
- Failure in regulation
- Shocking events
1. Allegations of serious misconduct and prima facie merit have been made against those acting, or purporting to act, on behalf of the state and
2. Those allegations are sufficiently widespread and are being treated sufficiently seriously by those outside Government to undermine the public’s confidence in the integrity of the State and in the rule of law and
3. The allegations relate to a sufficiently defined event or series of events to allow an inquiry to be given proper and clear terms of reference and
Terms of reference for judge-led Inquiry
To inquire into the culture, practices, and ethics of The Mayor and Transport for London including:
2. The Mayor/TFL have failed to reduce emissions in London. Their Air Quality strategies have failed miserably and as a direct result 4267 people a year have died (19201 in the last 4 ½ years) from pollution related illness and many more suffer poor health and a diminished quality of life. The Mayor and TFL have failed in their Duty of Care to implement effective strategies to protect the health on Londoners.
3. The Metropolitan Police have refused to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption and Misconduct in Public Office. In 2008 a High Court Judge ruled that TFL had made unlawful decisions ( which constitutes Misconduct in Public Office) and no action has been taken. The Local Government Ombudsman and the Standards Committee have also chosen to ignore or refused to investigate any complaints.
4. The Environmental Audit Committee published a damning report in November 2011 which was extremely critical of the failed Air Quality standards in London and yet the Government has taken no action. The Mayor and TFL have not been held to account by any agency.
5. The Mayor and TFL have tried to cheat Air Quality measurements by spraying dust suppressants at Air Quality measurements stations. This is a clear fraudulent attempt to hide the pollution problems and a clear admission that ALL Air Quality strategies have failed miserably.
6. The EU could impose fines of £300 million for London’s failure to comply with emissions standards, which will be passed on to Londoners.
7. The Mayor and TFL have unreasonably ignored any suggestions of valid ideas to improve emissions i.e. a peak time delivery ban or a clean up process for diesel vehicles.
8. In 2009 The mayor ignored attempts by the Labour Government to force him to take action to reduce emissions.
9. The Mayor and TFL have no effective and robust strategies in place going forward, so there is no likelihood that the situation will improve. In his recent manifesto The Mayor did not even mention any proposals to reduce emissions in London, which would suggest he has no intention to do so.
During the Mayoral election all of the candidates (except Boris) formally supported a call for a Public Inquiry into the failed Air Quality and 34 London MPs wrote to the Environment Secretary to challenge the ‘Public Health Fraud’ because TFL were using dust suppressants at the measurement locations to cheat the readings.
The Leveson inquiry has exposed the serious issues of corruption in the media, the Metropolitan Police and Public Office and a similar Inquiry will expose the reasons why The Mayor and TFL have failed which has resulted in thousands of deaths.
The Mayor and TFL knew in advance that there were thousands of people dying from pollution and also that their proposed strategies would not reduce emissions at all, yet he continued to do nothing.
In 2009 the Labour Government tried to force the Mayor to take action to reduce emissions and this was ignored.
In September 2010 TFL/ The Deputy Mayor were sent details of an engine clean up process, which would have reduced the emissions of all 21000 London Taxis by 30-50% and would have been extremely cost effective. This process could have been used for ALL diesel vehicles in London ie taxis, buses, trucks etc (which are the biggest polluters) yet it was completely ignored.
On June 6th 2010 the Mayor was sent a document which outlined effective ideas for emissions reduction. It also gave technical details of why past and future proposed strategies had and would fail;
1/ The failed taxi emissions project
2/ The failed LEZ project
The Mayor has continually been given solid technical evidence as to why his strategies are not effective. He has ignored this evidence before, during and after these strategies have been implemented.
He has ignored or sidestepped ALL questions that have been asked on many occasions by MPs and Assembly members.
The evidence that ALL of the Mayors strategies have failed is unarguable. The Environmental Research Group at Kings have said there has been little or no reduction in emissions in 10 years.
If the Air Quality had improved then why would the Mayor find it necessary to cheat the measurements by spraying dust suppressants?
A Public Inquiry will expose all of the reasons why there has been no action taken and establish exactly why thousands of people have died and continue to do so.
It is alarming that despite the obvious failings of his previous tenure the Mayor has made absolutely no proposals to improve emissions going forward. (his manifesto did not even mention pollution let alone suggest any method for improving it)
Many letters have been sent by MPs and many questions have been asked by London Assembly Members in relation to failed emissions strategies. The Mayor has completely ignored, sidestepped or failed to answer all questions and has flatly refused to conduct any emissions conformity testing whatsoever. It should be the case that all London MPs and London Assembly Members give formal support and call for a Public Inquiry.